Even if you missed our chat, you can still reap the benefits! I've compiled a list of solutions, resources and links, and a script of our chat for your benefit! Here's what came up from the chat:
Solutions offered by the group:
- Start on conference on the sexualization of girls, possibly including awards for businesses that promote positive and healthy representations of girlhood.
- Don't buy from companies that sexualize girls. There's talk of boycotting H&M for using fake bodies to model clothes (with real heads pasted on) and Abercrombie & Fitch for being a repeat offender.
- Create a master list of products NOT to buy, using the Twitter hashtag #notbuyingit (Thanks Miss Representation and Girls for a Change).
- Create a master list of products that are good for girls and that do not promote sexualization, using the Twitter hashtag #buyinstead. If you have examples, please leave a comment!
- Make wallet cards for parents that have examples of sexualizing and non-sexualizing products.
- Remember that women need to support each other. Eliminate demeaning labels, such as "skank", "whore", "prude", and "bitch" from our conversations. Let's stick together!
- Of course there was a lot of talk about the importance of media literacy for girls as well as boys. Use your voice! Teach your children and teach your friends. The sexualization of girls is the next social issue of our time.
Resources and links tweeted by the group:
- Sexualization: What Does Your Outfit Say About You? This resource wasn't in the chat, but I should have referenced it. This is a guest post I did for girls about how to decide whether your clothes are sexualizing.
- Hardy Girls Healthy Women Tip Sheets
- Shaping Youth Blog
- Girl Caught Stickers from New Moon Girls
- Critical Shopping 101 from SPARK Summit
- Holiday Shopping Guide from Proud 2B Me
- Fun with Media Literacy by Reality Bites Back
- It's Never Too Young to Teach Boys to be Feminists by Princess Free Zone
- Here's an article heralding some good news.
- Men and the Sexualization of Young Girls by The Good Men Project Because men are part of the solution!
- Who You Calling a Slut? on About Face by author Audrey Brashich
- It's Time to Respond to the Sexualization of Children by Dr. Jennifer Shewmaker
- 11 Things You Can Do TODAY! from SPARK Summit
- Powered By Girl blog
- And last, but not least, here's a link to a book that someone wants to #buyinstead.
Script from the chat:
What solutions do you have to stop the sexualization of girls? What resources should we be aware of? What products will you buy or not buy?